• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaffer’s Sporty Chop

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	768.8 KB
ID:	37341 Getting started on another one. @cabinet Mans 87 sporty is the victim. He brought it in for fork seals, starter relay and a front tire. Then he started talking bout how he wanted to stretch the back end and hardtail. Next thing I kno I’m undressing it to back half it.
    The previous owner did a number on this thing! 1st major thing I noticed was the scratched swing arm. Almost 2” longer than stock and in my opinion horribly done!!! They didn’t even keep it “in plane”!!! They installed much longer than stock shocks st a much steeper angle than stock both on top and bottom mounts!
    Once I got the seat and tank off the real managery was revealed. They cut the backbone just in front of the seat tubes!!! I don’t really understand why...aside for possibly removing rear valve cover??? They bent it up and added in some thin wall box square tubing on top of rectangle tubing on top of a piece of flat strap!!!
    After a couple weeks of thinking on how he wanted to proceed, Mike decided to go ahead with a complete frame.
    Plan is to stretch it way out in back(he’s s y’all dude) and add a bit of rake. So on with disassembly and figuring out how deep the p.o. ‘s hands have been.Getting started on another one. This time for
    Last edited by Kgi4x4; 10-13-2018, 02:28 AM.

Build thy chopper and rid that beast of it's unsightly tangle.
    Biscuits and gravy.

Comment

Some more of the awesomeness of the previous owner.

Comment

It’s in! Hope to be a bit farther along before returning to the woods. It will do tho. Engine fought me coming out, hanging up on the scraps they scabbed into the backbone. Just about time to start cutting. Only part of the frame that gets reused is the neck for its VIN #s.

Comment

damn Kevin looks like you have your hands full.

Comment

Chipping away at this as I get time. Started a motor mount jig and cut the neck free of the frame. Still need to grind it clean then back to the jig to get some fresh tubing!

Comment

• Opated
              Opated commented
              Editing a comment
              Same question, different build. Did the frame spring when you cut it?

• Kgi4x4
              Kgi4x4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Opated I haven’t cut that deep to know. The neck guest is still holding it all together.

Got a bit more done on this one. Haven’t had my phone for last to weeks so not many pics... I cleaned up the neck being careful to not destroy the vin sticker. The numbers are stamped but ca assigns a sticker and having it makes dealing with the law much smoother.
            I usualy cut my own axle plates but my template came up missing. I ordered a set or TC bros 3/4” universal plates and was sure to make a new template for next go around.
            Finished the motor mount jig and used some 1/2x1” flat bar foe the rear motor mounts.
            Started bending tubes. Unfortunately I cut 1” to much one the backbone tube so I’ll have to make another at proper length. Still a long way to go but it’s starting to take shape!
            The backbone is 1 1/2”x.120 tube while the rest is 1” DOM. Every thing but the lower rear hoop is .120 wall. After breaking my .120 lower hoop on the rusty steed(operator error, they don’t like going airborne at 120+ and coming back into contact with the pavement on the rev limiter!!!). I’ve gone to using .188 wall to ensure it’s not a problem on anyone else’s bike.
            Thats about it for now. More to come soon!

Comment

• TheBCB
              TheBCB commented
              Editing a comment
              Measure once, cut...🤔...shit.

Lookin great Kevin 😉

• Kgi4x4
              Kgi4x4 commented
              Editing a comment
              TheBCB I usually mark the long side of cut, cut square then cope the angle in. Got in a hurry and talking and marked the short side of the cope! DOH!!!

Been neglecting my updates...
            bent up a new piece of 1 1/2” .120 wall for backbone. Notched and fit. For the rear motor mounts I used some 1”x1/2” flat bar cut to 4” lengths, drilled to 3/8” for bolts. They weld to backbone and are attached to motor mount fixture. Stillneedyocutfront mounts out of some 3/16” plate.
            Bent up the upper hairtail tube aka seat tubes. 1”.120 wall used there. Used almost a full stick(bout 20’) though 5’ will be thicker, wall .188 tube for the lower hoop.
            After a bit of heat warp wonky(I think to much heat when he welded, or to much focus on one side of tube) on chucks bike I built a seat tubes fixture. Made it so the angle and height can easily be changed. It will take away any chance of that happening again.
            The little fixtures are the most time consuming (at the moment) part though they will drastically increase speed/production on future builds. I’m no “pro” but as I build more frames I’m trying to take the room for error out of the picture.

Comment

Comment

Solid at 35* rake!

Comment

Kinda important to keep this leval!

Comment

Bent up the lower hoop this afternoon. Fits like a glove!!!

Comment

Less light in window...

Comment

Fucking awesome man. Wish I had the time or know how to tackle building an entire frame. 🍻

Comment

• Kgi4x4
                          Kgi4x4 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you! Built a lot of rollcages and bumpers learning. Bikes are so much easier to build especially with fixtures to hold it while you weld!!!

I love the signature KG hoop. Gonna be clean.
                        Biscuits and gravy.

Comment

• Kgi4x4
                          Kgi4x4 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks buddy!
                      Working...
                      X