Lo Buck Buildoff rigid big twin Evo build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lo Buck Buildoff rigid big twin Evo build

I saw the “Lo Buck Buildoff” post on IG yesterday and figured, what the hell.

I’ve been collecting parts for a budget build for the last 2 months or so, with plans to bolt it all together and ride it this spring. It’s way less complicated than what I normally attempt. I’m pretty sure there won’t be a single custom-machined piece on this bike. (I know, right?)

After scoring a complete bottom-breather big twin drivetrain basically for free (bought a roller for $1,600, sold the frame, front end, and forward controls for $1,600), I thought it would be cool to build a bike with parts I had laying around, could trade for, or I could get for free. The idea was to spend no more than $500... which I think I’m going to blow, so the $1,500 budget is nice. I’ll sit down and write up and post an itemized list of what I have spent to keep everything above board.

I traded some seat work work for a frame. I’m not sure of the brand, but it’s a 180/200 (I know, gross... but free!) rear tire frame with a low backbone and gooseneck. I need to dig it out of a connex and verify the dimensions, but it came with a title.

I’m running a 21” front with a Speedmaster, both I had laying around. And I’m running a 16” rear rim (came with the motor) and a used 180 rear tire I got for free with around 3,000 miles on it.

Got a CV carb (still need an intake manifold) and a 39mm front end for $200. I have a few tanks laying around, so I guess I’ll be using one of those. I do need a 180 rear fender if anybody is holding. I also have an oil tank/battery box I don’t really like, but will run to keep it cheap unless I find a deal on something better.

I know a seat guy, so I’m covered there. It’s mostly the small stuff that will nickel and dime me... brake hoses, cables, hardware, etc.

So that’s basically it. I’ll throw up some pics as soon as I have something interesting to show. Collecting parts for now.
    Follow me on Instagram @rangerleather

Sounds like a good start.
    Look forward to seeing.
    http://selectedgrub.blogspot.com/

Comment

Right on dude!

Comment

Here’s the frame. Don’t know a ton about it. The price was right, though!

Comment

Your gonna have a huge rear tire and if i cant find a 16” I’ll have to run the freakin 19x3 rear that i have 😂 i really hope it dont come to that

Comment

• Ranger
            Ranger commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, 180/75/16... stoopid big! Damn, I just basically gave away a 16” Triumph rear with a drum a couple of weeks ago. You need Triumph specific? Or will any 16 do?

• Fatkat
            Fatkat commented
            Editing a comment
            Ranger yea triumph unless anyone else knows what will fit , the Harley wheels i have a measuring to wide , i’d like to keep the disc brake setup to if i can

• Ranger
            Ranger commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I don't know anything about Triumph stuff. Just happened to have a 16" wire wheel with a drum/sprocket on it like an early ironhead setup. Got rid of most of my stash and that went with it. If you can't make a harley work with different bearings/spacers, maybe something off a Jap bike? or hell, run a 21" or 23" up front to balance out that 19.

19 and 19.

Save the world through symmetry

Comment

• Fatkat
            Fatkat commented
            Editing a comment
            I had the 19 on the back the other day .. it was awful , the front is a 18”

Here’s the rest of the parts I’ve collected. My local Harley shop, Triple Nickel Speed Shop, let me use their tire machine and balancer, so mounting/balancing was free. I did have to purchase a tube for the rear tire, and seals for both wheels. I repacked the Timken bearings, and now the wheels are good to go.

Comment

Big twin Evo chops always make me giddy 😂

Comment

Here’s the page from my build book that outlines my parts costs and also shows what I already had, what I got for free, and what I’ve traded for. I’ll update this as I go. I’m currently up to $400 out of pocket.

Comment

Still collecting parts. The frame I have uses a Softail-style rear caliper setup. I didn’t have one, so I bought a bracket on eBay for about $30, thinking it would work with one of the GMA or PM 2-piston calipers I already have (bolt hole spacing was right). Turns out it’s actually for the 4-piston PM or Jaybrake style calipers. Fortunately a buddy of mine had a brand-new Ultima knockoff with pads he gave me for free, so now I think all I lack for my brakes is hoses and front pads. A hell, I might have some used hoses that will work.

Comment

Working...
                X