Saving a 1935 Scout case half

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving a 1935 Scout case half

This 1935 Sport Scout lh case had most all of the threads for the main race retaining nut broken off. I welded and machined one of these once! Never again everything moves and warps when you start in that area. So a new technique.
    I turned all the threads off then turned the od to accept a sleeve

I made a sleeve but left enough on the end to thread 2" 16 left hand

Then I made some male 2" 16 left handed threads and parted a nuts worth off with my hightech parting tool.

Then using the threaded sleeve as a fixture I bored the nut to size and cut the left handed thread that acts as an oil seal in this engine.

Then I heated the sleeve to 950 degrees f and slid it into place let it cool and torqued and staked the nut.

Other than the fact it will rust I suspect way better than original and its all straight
    Dusty

So awesome to see these old cases saved with some solid craftsmanship
    Posts while cruisin....

Comment

Yes! Always love the knowledge you share!

Comment

Dam I just noticed that lots of the broken stuff under the table showed in the last pic. I was kinda feeling like I was making a little progress until I saw that.
        Dusty

Comment

Awesome work Dave

Comment

I want a ‘35 sport scout mountain bike. I know a Chief is easier to find parts for and the 101 is a better bike (and Chout candidate) and the 41 has the skirts but damn...

That 35 rules

Comment

Originally posted by Madrivermoco View Post
              I want a ‘35 sport scout mountain bike. I know a Chief is easier to find parts for and the 101 is a better bike (and Chout candidate) and the 41 has the skirts but damn...

That 35 rules

Ya oughta start collecting parts, I built this one almost completely out of ebay and swap meet parts. https://photos.app.goo.gl/XHx4DZtkDZGyLdMk8 Don't know for sure but have less than two grand in it. The only really expensive part was the T&O flywheels. Using the 741 cylinders & heads saved a small fortune and the vertical twin frame saved another small fortune.
              Dusty

Comment

That is pretty bad ass. good work.

Comment

The other case half I'm going to use with the 35 left side is probably 39 or later if the pushrod guides are original to it. It had a tiny crack .

Then I discovered that the pinion race bore is well machined just to an odd size that isn't available now if it ever was. So I started making a pinion race with a .0075 oversize OD.
                  This drill bit in rockwell 45 shaft is all the little Atlas Craftsman wanted even in back gear.

Dusty

Comment

Forgot to get a shot of boring to size and parting. Boiled the case for 3 or 4 minutes and the race drove in at a medium hammer fit.

Dusty

Comment

A little better picture.

Dusty

Comment

You boiled the cases in water to get the race in? Thats something new. it makes sense.. Just never heard of it before .

Comment

Straight out of the WW2 Indian Overhaul manual. A lo tech way of getting about 212 degrees fahrenheit. Bout 209 at my altitude.
                          Dusty

Comment

Working...
                          X