My Twinkie no workie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Twinkie no workie

Hey guys... So I don't get to be on here as much as I'd like... I know it's a wealth of knowledge... I only have a phone and using this site on my phone is no bueno... I'll try and check in and get back as much as possible. Anyway here's my deal.

99 wide glide carburated. All stock as far as I know. Ride down the road about 2 miles, gets warmed up and dies. Let it sit for a while and she'll fire back up, go down the road for a bit and dies again. Repeat until I get home.

Now here's what I'm doing. I have ordered a manual, it's coming. I don't seem to have spark after it dies... At least by my road side stick a bungee cord metal wire in the spark plug wire and see if there's spark test... All connections look to be in good order. Battery is good. Fires right up when it wants to.

There's where I am. I'm lead to believe it's a coil issue. Coil is cold continuity is good coil warms up continuity brakes killing spark killing engine. Coil cools down... Repeat...

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

PS if there's any dudes on here that live in Yakima or close to, it'd be chill to meet up.

Yep, also test the ignition control module.

Comment

Ignition module .

Comment

Control module

Comment

Aight den. Test ignition control module. I got the book coming and I will dive into it soon. Thanks guys.

Comment

as above. bring your tester with you on a ride and check the coil when it dies on you. good way to verify.

Comment

Another point to check is the crank position sensor. I'll hit you up if I ever get over the hump to the east side of the state 🍻

Comment

So, I got my service manual. It is a extensive manual. Something like 600 pages. Very detailed. I tested the coil both cold and after a ride and also another break down. The coil looks to be bad. Outside of parameters. The only thing the book tells me about the ignition module is it has to be tested at the stealership. Not gonna do that. Any clues to testing the module? When I get cash the coil is getting replaced. Any suggestions on a good American made ignition... I'm leaning towards dynatek...

Comment

• TheBCB
                  TheBCB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The module needs to be tested with the Harley Digital Technician, Techno Research Centurion, or Actia Diag4Bike and for several testing procedures needs to be used in tandem with a breakout box.

As far as ignitions, I recommend Daytona Twin Tec. I've used a lot of their products and the only one I've ever had repetitive issues with is the VTi points replacement unit. Their external modules are extremely user friendly and offer more adjustability than many of the other aftermarket units.

Cool. Thanks man

Comment

Substitution is the solution. Substituting a known good part is way cheaper than supporting a Hardly Stealership or buying a bunch of test equipment you may nver need again. I borrowed a Jeep Grand Cherokee computer once to test mine
                  Dusty.

Comment

Well friends... I tested the coil as a bad part and felt it no need to continue any further. I finally got a replacement coil from dynatek. I installed and took it for a test ride. I am currently standing on the side of the road. Same issue. 2.5 miles down the road it died.... Gotta love diagnosing a bad part and learn there's more bad parts. Guess I'll be butting the bullet and taking the module into Harley... Two words.... Fucking bikes. I'm gonna work on finishing my shovelhead...

Comment

Call before you go in and make sure the dealership can help you. I'm already hearing stories over here that guys with 05 and earlier bikes are being turned away or offered "trade in value"...

2 other questions though. Have you checked for codes and are all your grounds in good shape?

Comment

Over the years solid state ignitions have taught me that the shotgun approach is probably best. If I find a bad module it was probably caused by primary voltage spikes from bad coil or wires or even really bad plugs, So I replace everything and never have a mad customer. If I find a bad set of wires the module and coil have been receiving kilovolt spikes into a 12 volt circuit. So again I replace everything don't forget the pickup unless its computer fired then check the position sensors. If money is a serious concern stick that module into a friends bike, then the pickup coil unless it is computer fired then swap the confuser. Substitution is the solution.
                        Dusty

Comment

so... long over due update... it turned out to be the crank position sensor. switched it out and road it.... right up until April of 2018 when someone pulled out in front of me an almost killed me. bike was toast...

Comment

Working...
                          X