Ask a Metal Engraver!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a Metal Engraver!

Hello! My name is Ryan Hausmann. I'm a self taught metal engraver and I started my company Open Road Design about 4 years ago. I've always wanted to share some of the skills, tips and tricks, equipment information for people interested in getting into metal engraving or just curious about how it's done. If I wanted to sell you shit, I'd post a blog on my website and make you go there to get the information. But I'm just here to share the love I have for the trade and give a helping hand to anyone who can't afford the ridiculous over priced engraving lessons out there.

I hope you folks dig it and I'll be back next week with my first post on what equipment I use! Ride safe
    !
    Going to make the metal fly!

Hello Ryan, I look forward to this and I thank you in advance.
    I have no spare years of learning this skill set BUT I would also dream to have my own custom parts engraved one day.
    Thanks for sharing, I love your work.

http://selectedgrub.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Open Road Design
      Open Road Design commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a lot! I hope this thread will help you out. The photo below looks great. On the right path!

Barbaric.
    This is a piece I cut with a chisel.
    I then use grinder to dig up to the line, using blunt force "wells" the metal and makes it proud.

Comment

• Cisco
      Cisco commented
      Editing a comment
      You are way too humble! I wish I had an iota of the talent you posses!!

Ryan thank you for doing this! I’m looking forward to this especially from someone with your talent!!

Comment

• Open Road Design
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much man!! I've wanted to do this for a while. Glad I finally got off my ass!

LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!

I'm going to give you a quick run down of the main tools I use and a bit about how they work. I'll go into more detail about the individual tools in future posts and of course how to use them to engrave.

FIRST OFF, everything is run off of a compressor. This compressor is hooked up to an Airtact System or what I call the control panel. The actual engraving tools are connected by hoses to this control panel. The control panel (photo below) allows you to adjust the amount of air to your hand tools and allows you to switch back and forth between tools easily.
    TWO MAIN TOOLS:
    HIGH SPEED ROTARY AND AIRTACT HANDPIECE (PHOTOS BELOW)

HIGH SPEED ROTARY: Every go the dentist and they use that high pitch "dear god make that sound stop" tool to grind away the tacos and filth from you teeth?

Same tool!

Imagine a dremel on crack! A Dremel or Foredom spins at about 30,000 rpm. This tool spins at 320,000 rpm! This is mainly used to remove the background material and texture the background of the engraving. Used for all those little dots you see, also known as stippling. There will be an entire post on this tool so don't worry!

AIRTACT HAND PIECE: This hand piece, used for details and fine lines very simply is a chisel controlled by air. Imagine hitting a chisel with a hammer. This is the same thing, except it fits in the palm of your hand and no hammer. A small pin inside the hand piece hammers the chisel point by means of air pressure. Using a foot pedal you can stop, start, speed up or slow down the chisel. This tool relies on the control panel the most! Depending on the type of chisel you are using, type of cut and depth of cut, you are adjusting the air and strokes per minute (how many times the mini hammer inside hits the chisel). FYI: it's not actually called a chisel, it's called a GRAVER but that always sounded stupid to me and I refuse to say it. (entire post on this tool coming)

HEADS UP: 90% of engraving equipment is made by a company called GRS. It's expensive because they can make it expensive because no one else sells this shit! Thankfully, they make quality tools so that makes it less painful when you whip out that Visa.

So to sum it up: Rotary makes metal fly, makes those engravings deep! Chisel carves out details and makes those fine lines. All controlled by a box with a bunch of buttons that is hooked up to a compressor. Not that complicated, all about the practice! SO MUCH PRACTICE! fuck my life!

I want to keep these posts short and sweet! (first time doing anything like this so if you have any tips please do share)! I'm going to go into much more detail week by week. I hope this gives you an idea of whats used and of course ask any questions you might have!
    RIDE SAFE YOU DIRTY BIKERS YOU!
    Last edited by Open Road Design; 01-10-2019, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Keep it coming, this is awesome!

Comment

• Open Road Design
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the love!! Glad it's being enjoyed!!

Sweet! Thanks!

Comment

THE PARTY CONTINUES! Post #2
      AIRTACT HANDPIECE

The Airtact Handpiece is an extremely hard tool to explain in words. I will be making some videos later on to show you how it works. Just want to give you a quick idea so we can move onto the really cool shit.

Before I discuss this tool WARNING: I do not use this tool the way traditional metal engravers use it. Filigree, traditional scroll work and western style scroll work (google it) is what this tool is traditionally used for. I don't want to be a prick but I find it boring. IT IS ridiculously HARD TO DO and requires years of practice and skill. I'm just not a fan, what are you going to do. I use it for my 3D carving. (pictures below) Think of wood carving, I use it that way. As a chisel.
      CHISELS (GRAVERS)

For every cut there is a style of chisel (graver) . (picture below) The chisel is held by a collet with a set screw. The collet then slides into the handpiece. (pics below)
      The handpiece is controlled by a foot pedal and the control panel. Once I make the video post I'll show you how to use the control panel and adjust the tool.
      There are standard settings for different cuts “ for this kind of cut set your pressure to this and your spm (strokes per minute) to that.” But It really comes down to feel and sound. Like welding, start with what the instructions tell you and then adjust based on how your cut is turning out and how fast you personally want to work. THIS TOOL REQUIRES PRACTICE HOLY COW!!!!

Don't worry more to come on this. Just giving you the jyst.
      PURCHASING TIPS
      HANDPIECE

Do NOT buy a used handpiece. Yes they are expensive but they are also expensive to repair. They require regular maintenance and unless you’re buying it off your brother you have to trust the previous owner took good care of the tool.

Also, the quality of the cut has a lot to do with how it is running. The handpiece makes a lot of noise and it vibrates. Until you know what is a good sound/ bad sound or good vibes/bad vibes I recommend buying something you know works right out of the box. You can practice all you want but in this case, the tool can actually be at fault for your work looking like shit. In this case guys, don’t get too carried away.

CHISELS (official name GRAVERS)

I recommend buying a bulk econo pack that comes with one of each chisel. They are out there and affordable. You can experiment with how they all work and what type of cuts you can do with them.
      Eventually you’ll buy blanks, much cheaper, and make your own. But that is not for a beginner and 5 years later I still kind of suck at it.

So that's it for now, the next post will be the one I think you folks will be most interested in. It's going to be about the high speed rotary tool. I hope you guys enjoy and ask any questions you may have!

RIDE SAFE YOU DIRTY BIKERS!

Last edited by Open Road Design; 01-21-2019, 10:49 PM.

Comment

ASK A METAL ENGRAVER UPDATE!!

After struggling like a mother fucker to write the last blog post and still hating it, I came to a decision. This is a visual medium and it can only be explained with visuals.

To the video recorder Batman! I'm going to turn each post into a VIDEO. This will take more time of course, so instead of posting every week, it's going to be more like every 2-3 weeks. But it WILL ROCK SO MUCH MORE!!

Fun fact: I not only got kicked out of film school once, I also failed out when they decided to let me back in.
        But I did like my time there.

So I hope you folks like this idea and stay patient with me.
        On wards and forwards into the great beyond you dirty bikers you!!

Comment

Look forward to more.

Here is another piece smacked with cold chisels, finished with needle files

Comment

• Open Road Design
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful work man!

• Spade115
            Spade115 commented
            Editing a comment
            looks damn clean.

Open Road Design-Ryan Talks About Metal Engraving 1
          First off, I know! Next video my phone will be held the right way. My apologies. I hope you enjoy it anyways. This is just a run down of the basic equipment for metal engraving. I had fun doing it! Please leave some constructive criticism for me so I can make the next video better! Enjoy you crazy bikers you!! And of course ask any questions you might have!

Comment

This is awesome and I gained another level of respect for you here. Many people are so secretive about their trade and don't want to teach anybody. Personally I can't draw much past stick figures fucking but I also think it would be neat to engrave stick figures fucking on my motorcycle.
            I'M THE PINKY NIGGA!! I AIN'T GOT TIME FO' YO' JIBBA JABBA FOOL!!

Comment

• Open Road Design
              Editing a comment
              Thanks man! I also went through an insecure secretive phase with metal engraving but it just stressed me out and took the joy out of engraving. A lot more fun sharing the love for what I do, helping folks do it themselves and not taking everything so damn seriously. Good for the soul!! And speaking of stick figures. I'm going to post a pic for you.

Ramzy When I draw for myself and for my friends, this is how it turns out. I'm a big fan of stick figures! Not my next video but the one after that will show the right tool to do something like this.

Comment

Keep it coming.

Comment

• Open Road Design
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! Will do, a new video coming next week.

I'm starting this lump.

Will be nothing like your caliber.

Comment

Working...
            X