welding sheet metal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding sheet metal

so im in the process of making g an oil tank for the shovelhead build. thought i would post a thread on here about my success and failures. maybe i can learn something in the process. I love the process of learning or relearning something new... so please... chime in on this thread!!!
    Last edited by Bombay; 02-27-2019, 08:58 PM.

i had success at first with this joint. i ground it back to help the appearance. this is .060 ish size material. they call it 16 gauge. I am using and Everlast mig welder with .035 wire. more on this...

Comment

here is the inside of that joint. looks okay to me for penetration... not the prettiest.

Comment

heres the battery box welded to the lower panel. cleaning up some questionable looking areas. i dont want this to leak...

Comment

so as i was welding up the tank, i started to get into trouble. i was moving around... but obviously not enough. it started blowing holes through. now here my thoughts. i don't need or want .035 wire for this. i have order .023 wire and tips. they're on the way. i have cut new panels and will attempt a second tank. this one will be kept for demonstration... second the welder isnt very user friendly. it has no chart and no real settings. just 2 dials with infinite ranges. so tuning it in is a challenge. i should have gotten a little better machine... but here i am.

Comment

also, i understand TIG welding is probably the way to go with this thin sheet metal. i do have a low budget TIG welder... but again... no argon bottle as of yet. also its a scratch start... or lift arc... so... again not the easiest nicest machine to use.. but maybe a bottle of argon is in the near future.

Comment

Practice makes perfect! I can't wait to get a nice welder. You decide on a battery yet? that Shorai I'm running is holding so far but i do have it basically floating in mid air. i guess they DO NOT like vibrations from a harley.

Comment

• Bombay
                Bombay commented
                Editing a comment
                No choice or purchase has been made yet. I'm leaning towards antigravity... but that could all change... which it usually does.

why not just fill weld the holes rather than start a whole new tank?

Comment

• Bombay
                Bombay commented
                Editing a comment
                well... i may very well do that and keep working on the first tank... but for me repetition helps me learn... and i am picky... if i don't like the way something looks or functions or turns out I'm gonna redo the work.

alright... so i finally got all my shit together. got the .023 wire and tips... of course the tips i ordered were for a different style gun, but a quick run to the welding outfir here in town this am and i was welding away in no time.

Comment

Comment

so, i think im gonna grind a shit ton of bad welds off the old tank and give it a try rewelding it. i still have most of the [parts to redo a second tank.. and that may just happen anyway.

Comment

okay... progress. i switched to .o23 wire and played with the setting on the machine and got decent results. I started a new tank and used some different methods.

Comment

• Open Road Design
                      Open Road Design commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This is a great play by play! Thanks for posting your trial and errors.

• Bombay
                      Bombay commented
                      Editing a comment
                      absolutely! thanks for following along!

i learned that patience and a correct set up on the welder is really crucial. patience more than anything. i will be upgrading the mig welder to something more adjustable in the future. the .o23 wire really helped too.

Comment

Working...
                    X