curing Glyptal enamal paint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curing Glyptal enamal paint

anyone ever used a bbq to cure glyptal paint? i would be concerned about the vapors from the propane messing with the curing...or... not...??? What do you guys think.

Glyptal that has dried over night doesn't out off enough fumes to matter how you heat it. About 350 for a couple of hours. I use a gas oven with a naked flame all the time. But I get bitched at for how it makes the house smell.
    Dusty

Comment

My kinda half ass plan was, instead of going out and buying a oven (my lady will kill me and bury my corpse in the back yard if I used the oven in the house) and trying to figure out how to get it to the garage, is I'm gonna use the bbq. I was thinking to try it out on a test piece and see how that goes. I'll let it cure over night, and then toss it in the bbq and see what happens. Thanks Dave!

Comment

Should work fine, just be sure not to get it too hot.
        Dusty
        ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Bombay
          Bombay commented
          Editing a comment
          im gonna try and keep it as close to 250 as possible...it has a thermometer on it, so that should help...

• Dusty-Dave
          Dusty-Dave commented
          Editing a comment
          When it cures it gets darker red.

I have baked various things in the garage, I have to recommend a smoker actually for smaller items, can fit up to a king sized sporty tank in most of the small 110v smokers. I use one that gets above 450* and I powdercoat with it arround 400*
        Posts while cruisin....

Comment

• Bombay
          Bombay commented
          Editing a comment
          thats a great idea. im going to look into that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_125410.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	657.3 KB
ID:	39206Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_125319.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	701.2 KB
ID:	39205

well... slowly but surely I'm making moves forward on these cases. I now have the Glyptal paint, and the parts soaking in Acetone. gonna let them soak over night and coat them in the morning. then I'll let them cure all day and try my hand at the bbq baking. I've made some calls around to powder coaters in the area to see about having them bake the parts and it seems no one is interested in doing that. so... we'll see how it goes.

Comment

Name:	20190424_101606.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	717.7 KB
ID:	39215Click image for larger version

Name:	20190424_122305.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	775.7 KB
ID:	39216Click image for larger version

Name:	20190424_122314.jpg
Size:	578.7 KB
ID:	39217Click image for larger version

Name:	20190424_124252.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	871.0 KB
ID:	39218Click image for larger version

Name:	20190424_132726.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	758.3 KB
ID:	39219

Gramps always told me that 90% of painting was in the prepwork... got the transmission cases painted. tomorrow we bbq.

Comment

• Dusty-Dave
            Dusty-Dave commented
            Editing a comment
            I always wipe the gasket surfaces with a lacquer rag so i don't have to deal with baked on tape.Up to you but I think I'd pull he tape before I baked them.
            Dusty

• RustyShagerferd
            RustyShagerferd commented
            Editing a comment
            Gramps is totally right!

• Bombay
            Bombay commented
            Editing a comment
            it's funny I think of when he was telling me that... we were painting an old trailer of his. he was telling me that good painters took a lot of time to prep everything and it was 90% of the work. as he poured a mix of 3 or 4 different colors all mixed together to make a nice green, onto the trailer and slathered it around the surface with a brush... he says... good thing I'm not a painter... fucking gramps.

Name:	20190425_120750.jpg
Size:	682.9 KB
ID:	39239Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_142504.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	802.5 KB
ID:	39240

Comment

It worked out pretty good. I learned a few things... BBQ's aren't very good for this. i had a real hard time keeping the temp consistent. but... it worked. they turned out real good. i think for the next items, the primary and eventually the engine .... I'm going to have to get an oven.

Comment

Looks like they turned out great. Killer job 🍻

Comment

Working...
              X